Recording date: Wed 31 Aug 2022
Editing date: ?
Release date: Mon 5 Sept 2022
- Greetings and catch ups.
- What have we been up to?
- Coming up we’ll be doing a Storm Warning quiz!
- When did we first experience Storm Warning and Big Finish?
- Congratulations to Sonia for earning all her virtual Cloister Bell Badges over on the website. We’ve awarded her with a Choose-a-Story voucher so we’ll review a story of her choice on the podcast soon.
Now available on the website…
- Eighth Doctor Word search
- Eighth Doctor Memory Game
- Eighth Doctor Quiz! (Play along with us later on the show)
October, 1930. His Majesty‘s Airship, the R101, sets off on her maiden voyage to the farthest-flung reaches of the British Empire, carrying the brightest lights of the Imperial fleet. Carrying the hopes and dreams of a breathless nation.
Not to mention a ruthless spy with a top-secret mission, a mysterious passenger who appears nowhere on the crew list, a would-be adventuress destined for the Singapore Hilton… and a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey.
There’s a storm coming. There’s something unspeakable — something with wings, crawling across the stern. Thousands of feet high in the blackening sky, the crew of the R101 brace themselves. When the storm breaks, their lives won’t be all that’s at stake…
The future of the galaxy will be hanging by a thread.
- The Doctor – Paul McGann
- Charley Pollard – India Fisher
- Lord Tamworth – Gareth Thomas
- Lt-Col Frayling – Nicholas Pegg
- Rathbone – Barnaby Edwards
- Chief Steward Weeks – Hylton Collins
- Triskelion – Helen Goldwyn
- Announcer – Mark Gatiss
David Arnold Theme
- It is volume 16 in the Big Finish Monthly Range. It was releases on double CD 22 January 2001. Its now out if print but is available to download.
STORM WARNING – Part 1
- Read CD booklet info and discuss part 1.
- The Doctor, books and the time ship.
- R101, Tamworth and Frayling.
- Introduction to Charley, Weeks and Rathbone.
- The Doctor arrives aboard the airship.
- Tamworth exposes Charley and she runs.
- Charley meets the Doctor.
- Frayling sees the Vortisaur outside – it then attacks Rathbone.
STORM WARNING – Part 2
- Read CD booklet info and discuss part 2.
- With the help of Weeks, they burst into the cabin to help.
- The Doctor and Weeks find and lure the Vortisaur before sedating it.
- Tamworth thinks the Doctor is a spy.
- The R101 rises to 5,000 ft.
- The unmask the passenger and Charley meets Engineer Prime.
- The airship rendezvous with a flying saucer.
STORM WARNING – Part 3
- Read CD booklet info and discuss part 3.
- Charley reveals she’s going to meet someone at the Sinalpore Hilton.
- The airship enters the saucer and three are allowed to go. Tamworth, Frayling and the Doctor. They find a mooring tower in an endless void.
- Tamworth tells the Doctor of how they found the engineer. From interrogating it, to meeting Rathbone and madam Zelda.
- On the Triskelion, Frayling is in the place of the Engineers, the Doctor the Lawgiver and Tamworth the Uncreators. Although Tamworth doesnt qualify. They want Rathbone instead.
- After leaving the airship armed Rathbone shoots the Lawgiver unleashing the Uncreators.
STORM WARNING – Part 4
- Read CD booklet info and discuss part 4.
- They roar at the uncreators.
- Uncreator Prime has a weapon.
- Tamworth fights the Uncreator.
- Rathbone resists the Uncreators control and shoots him.
- Tamworth is now the lawgiver. He offers to stay and help them find their own way without the law. The saucer leaves.
- Weeks feeds the Vortisaur/dies.
- Frayling/Rathbone share victory having stole the weapon. The Doctor warns them of what this could do to the future.
- Rathbone confronts the Doctor then falls to his death.
- The Doctor and Charley hitch a ride on the vortisaur.
- Frayling faces the inevitable and has one last drink before impact.
- The Doctor and Charley land safely and he then figures out the body count. Charley should have died.
- Charley admits she’d love to go with him so they fly off on Ramsey in search of the Tardis.
- Who is your favourite character?
Listeners can play along at home by visiting cloisterbellpodcast.com/StormQuiz.
Now it’s time for our listeners responses. We asked what you thought of Storm Warning.
Thanks for getting in touch!
Conclusion and score
How would we rate Storm Warning? Good, average or bad.